Thursday, December 18, 2008

Twilight Zone


I finally got around to watching Twilight last night. I went with a good friend of mine who had seen the movie already. She warned me that it was pretty bad. I'm glad I had the warning, I was able to not completely hate it. What was wrong with the movie? In a nutshell... bad directing. HORRIBLE directing. I was disappointed to say the least. The only good thing was that I got to see my new crush in all his vampire-ness. Yummy. My friend and I spent the following ride home dissecting the film and where it went wrong. Here's what we came up with:
  1. Bad Directing. Sorry Hardwicke, but you just didn't cut it this time. I'm glad you're not directing the next one. seriously. You let the actors drown in their bad lines. I'll forgive the bad lines, the book is cheesy (in a good way), but as a director, you're supposed to still find the emotion behind those lines. The actors wanted to give that to us, you stifled them. Shame on you.
  2. Casting. For the most part, I didn't have an issue with the main characters. Rob Pattinson (yummy) as Edward and Kristen Stewart as Bella were fine. Emmett was dead on (no pun intended). Alice was good, I just wish she had more of a role as in the book. Carlisle and Esme, fine. Rosalie... not the best choice, this role should be re-cast but if not, whatever. However, Jasper. What the hell were these people thinking??? This has to be a definite recast. There is no way that Jackson Rathbone can portray Jasper in the later books, he won't make sense (Jackson has a gay face - no offense to the gay community, Jasper is supposed to be a soldier/general, strong leader type... not gay).
  3. Misplaced/Added scenes. If you read the book, you'll understand this one. Certain parts of the movie were not in the correct scene as in the book. For example when Bella tells Edward that she knows he's a vampire... that happened in a car after she was attacked, not in the forest. Also, the bad guys never killed anyone, they just showed up, makes it that much more suspenseful.
  4. Incorrect/Added/Missing Lines. The book was cheesy as it was, no need to add or change lines to make it even cheesier. Case in point: The whole vampire theory. Not once in the movie did Bella say she had a theory about what Edward was. Edward all of a sudden comes out with "I want to hear your theory"; in the book, she's the one that brings it up. When she guesses what he is, he never says "Say it. Say the word." corny. It was more subtle than that.
I could go on, but those are the biggest issues. Chris Weitz, take note! And yes, I will still buy the movie when it comes out on DVD. I want to have Rob Pattinson forever with me! HAHAHAHA

No comments:

Post a Comment