Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Saintly Colts (or How the Super Bowl is No Longer About the Game)

OMG OMG OMG Did you hear!?!?!?!  Carrie Underwood is going to sing the National Anthem!!!

Really?  Well, The Who is performing during halftime.  The Who?  When did the average age of viewers go from 18-45ish to 45-70ish?  Eh, well... that's cool, I suppose.  I like The Who, even if the only song I have of theirs in my collection is Pinball Wizard... right....

Oh, I almost forgot, there's a ga...  What????  Daughtry is also performing???  The opening act?  Sweet, though I don't listen to his music either.  Okay.

So there's a game - I can't wait for all of the commercials this year.  That's the best part of the Super Bowl!

Speaking of commercials, when did the Super Bowl become a platform for political agendas?  CBS banned a commercial for a gay dating site, but will be glorifying the religious right with their pro-life/anti-abortion commercials.  These commercials aren't cheap.  ManCrunch, the gay dating service, paid an arm and a leg to get their spot aired, only for it to be pulled. There is nothing wrong with the commercial.  It's actually quite funny:


Unfortunately, I cannot find the anti-abortion commercial.  I wanted to post it as well, so CBS could see how easy it is to be fair to everyone. (I'm sure it's out there, but really, we can all wait to see it.)

Essentially, the commercial is of Tim Tebow, star quarterback of University of Florida, going on about how his mother was very ill and was told to have an abortion.  Lucky for him, she didn't and he went on to win the Heisman Trophy and, more than likely, will make millions for his mother now.  Tim, apparently, is a devout Christian.  As my husband would say, "I'm proud of ya."  (Note the sarcastic tone.)  What I find ironic about all of this is that Tim is THE STAR QUARTERBACK for Florida.  This means he must get women falling over him all the time and, unless he's a eunuch, I'm sure he's having plenty of sex (I would never for a minute buy that he's waiting for marriage).  So I pose a question to him.  How many of those women did you accidentally impregnate who later had abortions?  He may not even know the answer to that one, but it's a possibility.  Would he have told those women to not have abortions?  I wonder...

But I digress...In lieu of not having the Tim Tebow commercial, here's a response ad from Planned Parenthood.


I'll get off my soapbox now...

So, who's ready to watch those Super Bowl commercials???  I know I am!  Remember the Bud Bowl???  Do they even still have it?  I miss it! A bunch of beer bottles playing football, too cute.  As a 10 year old, I wanted a beer... to play football with, of course.

Oh... wait... there's an actual game?  Yes, there is...

Well now, if you read one of my earlier posts you would know that I had originally predicted a Giants v. Jets Super Bowl (wishful thinking on my part).  I was oh-so-close with the Jets.  They played their hearts out though and you have to give them credit!

Instead, we have the New Orleans Saints playing against the Indianapolis Colts.

   V. 

I can dig it.  I like Peyton Manning and I like the Saints.  I won't give a prediction on who will win because both teams are really good.  I would like the Saints to win since they've never won a Super Bowl, but really it doesn't work that way, does it?  I'll keep my fingers crossed though, after all, they do have God on their side, right? 

I hope you all enjoy the game, eat lots of food and drink lots of beer, but be safe!!!

WHO DAT? WHO DAT? WHO DAT?  GEAUX SAINTS!!!

2 comments:

  1. There I read it! And I agree! I do want the Saints to win, but its whoever is the most hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. I didn;t even realize that was an anti-abortion ad????

    ReplyDelete