Thursday, March 19, 2009

Reading, 'Riting, 'Rithmetic

The three R's. Obviously, whoever came up with that wasn't too bright considering that it's more like R, W, A or in another order RAW.

My early retirement has been going pretty well. I have indeed been reading, I have been writing (except not updating my blog as much as I said I would) and I have in fact been using some arithmetic... tutoring my friend's brother in math. Yes, I'm a bit of nerd.

So, what have I been reading? Well for starters a few books... yes all at the same time. I read depending on my mood. Here's the list:

1) Diana Gabaldon - The Fiery Cross (Outlander): This is book 5 of the Outlander series. My friend, E, got me totally hooked on the first book and I couldn't put it down. She bought the books, I borrowed, but to make it up to her, I bought the Outlander Companion book. Yes, I'm a fan.

2) Mario Livio - Is God a Mathematician?: I told you i was into Math. Not only am I tutoring, but I'm also reading about it. This is an interesting book about math and religion, almost a "which came first?" type thing. I haven't completely gotten into it, it requires a little more concentration that a regular book, but I will eventually finish it.

3) Brooke Allen - Moral Minority: Our Skeptical Founding Fathers: History, my other favorite subject. This is a great read for all of you who think our country was founded on religion. Nothing could be further from the truth. Our Founding Fathers (and really, they didn't find anything, the country was already here), were very much for separation of church and state and a few of them were devout atheists. Go figure! I'm almost done with the book, I will be passing it on to my mother.

4) Charlaine Harris - Shakespeare's Landlord (Lily Bard Mysteries, Book 1): Another series from the author of the Southern Vampire Mysteries (aka the True Blood series). I needed something to start reading on my new Kindle, so I decided to get this one. I like the True Blood series (which I've read), so I figured I'll give this one a shot and maybe the rest of her series too.

5) FanFiction.net - Wow, this site has me totally addicted to its stories. I happened onto this site when I was checking out information on IMDB for New Moon (Twilight Saga) and I read the some of the posts in the forum. Someone mentioned a story "Wide Awake" that was a Bella/Edward story, minus the vampire theme. So I checked it out and now you can't get me to do anything else. Well, I take that back, I do other things and as you can see I also read. Anyway, there is FanFiction for almost every book, TV show, video game, etc out there. In other words, when you're not satisfied with a story, write your own version...

So that leads me to Writing. I was so hooked that I told my friend, E (the same as above), and she agreed too, that she should write her own FanFic of Twilight. And she did, check it out, it's called Bliss and it's a great story. She encouraged me to write my own Fanfic. Granted, I have a blog that I update, but that's not the same as writing a story. But I did, or rather I am. If you want to check it out (and review it), you can. It's called "Due To a Stalled Train Ahead." I won't tell you about it, just read it.

My ultimate goal in all of this is to eventually write my own original novel. I've always liked writing, but never had the time or motivation to do anything about it, until now. I certainly have the time and motivation since I'm not working anymore.

Oh and the 'rithmetic? As I said, I've been tutoring my friend's brother and I have to say it's fun getting back into math. It was always one of my favorite subjects in school and I always did well. One of the top in my classes...consistently.

All of this is making me nostalgic for my favorite show... School House Rock!!!!


3... is a magic number... oh yes it is....

No comments:

Post a Comment